Thursday, June 2, 2011

Taffy Apple Salad

We host a small group for young adults at our house on Friday nights.  Every other week we share a meal together, which I so look forward to each and every week.  These adults are wonderful beings each bringing their own unique spin on the group dynamic.  For me personally, the group isn't just about accountability or duty...It is a time of refreshing, unwinding, and inviting the peace and love of God to infiltrate our lives.  It gives us an opportunity to find intimacy in the trust of the circle and see growth.  Of course people come and go throughout the group, but it has become one of my favorite parts of daily life... One girl in particular, I have grown to admire.  Just to take some time to sing her praises---she is one of the coolest girls and a phenomenal wife.  She is around my age and yet profoundly organized.  She is the sort of wife that wakes up before the light shines through the window and has the house clean before even the birds begin to sing in the morning.  She has her meals planned out each week so that her husband never goes hungry and tries her new recipes on us at life group.  We are her guinea pigs and I LOVE it.  She has never brought a bad thing to our group.  She is hardworking and always willing to bring something, give her money, her time, and her care towards the group and towards the Great Commission that the Lord calls us to.  I find her to magnificent and wish that she could see herself the way that God does.  It is marvelous.

Anyway, one week (which wasn't even a dinner week for the group) she brought a side dish and I thought it sounded and looked weird, but it was different and of course I gave it a go...  Oh my goodness.  This was the kind of recipe that will make it into the list of family tradition recipes.  It is one of those that you will see at every Fourth of July celebration from here on out.  It was weird and unique and yet-lovely and comforting.  It is Taffy Apple Salad.  If I were to compare it to something it would be the green marshmallow fluffy pineappley stuff you see at so many holiday gatherings.  Or the pink stuff...anyone?  Okay so I guess you will just have to try it.  It could be a side or a dessert and has a very distinct taste so if you don't like it I wouldn't be surprised, but if you do---I think you will LOVE it!

*Disclaimer:  I know I tend to post health foods, and this isn't one of them, but as a food lover I feel obligated to post recipes that I think are spectacular, even if not the most nutritionally sound.  This is an awesome dish for a special function!

Taffy Apple Salad


1 can (8 oz) crushed pineapple
1 egg beaten
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. flour
2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
8 oz. frozen whipped topping thawed
apples, peeled cored,  &  chopped (3-4 med/3 cups sliced/ 3 1/2 cups diced)
1 cup dry roasted peanuts chopped

Drain juice from pineapple and combine the juice, egg, sugar, flour, & vinegar in a small saucepan.  Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened.  (Will not become really thick)  Cool completely.  Fold in whipped topping and 1/2 cup peanuts.  Fold in apples and pineapple.  Garnish with remaining peanuts.

Yum!  What are your favorite family tradition foods or potential traditions?

1 comment:

  1. Great Blog Laura!! Love it!!! And yes, this recipe sounds so yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete