Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Weekly Chore Schedule

I have recently become enamored with the idea of being a homemaker.  I love reading blogs and deeply admire and respect women who maintain their homes well, live "green", and promote community and good family values.  As newlyweds, Matt and I realize more and more how different life is from college.  Hard work really does pay off, and that means IN the home, too! 

Based on blogs and advice I have received, I now have a weekly chore schedule so that the work doesn't pile up.  I know that my husband feels more loved and respected when he can come home to a clean house.  Bible scriptures teach women to be hardworking and to maintain their homes and family and I am excited about getting better about this.  God is teaching me so much about becoming a Godly wife and while a clean house and daily chores don't make me more or less acceptable, I feel better knowing that I am honoring God and my husband by working hard in and out of the home.  In addition, I have begun to gather that being a follower of Jesus means taking care of the planet, conserving, and being aware of the needs in the world.  There are people all over the world without food and clean drinking water, much less appliances that make our everyday life so privelaged.  I thank God for the many blessings he has given me and will continue to blog about living frugally, green, and in a way that glorifies the God of the universe.




Printable Chore Schedule


The following chore schedule can be adjusted depending on if you have children (who can help out), your schedule, etc. Every day usually has a major chore and a minor chore to accompany:

Monday-  Laundry day!  I try to conserve and batch my time by only doing laundry one day a week.  Many will need to do it throughout the week, but with us we only need to do it once.  This includes sheets and pillow cases.  Every fourth Monday I include the comforters, quilts, etc.  Any clothing repair or folding that needs to be done gets done on this day.

I also do a quick kitchen wipedown for fingerprints and crumbs, as well as inspecting the fridge for things that need to be thrown out!

Tuesday- This is the day to mop the floors and vaccuum in the whole place.  Again, we have small living quarters and no pets so we don't need to do this very much.  High traffic areas need vacuuming more often during the week!

Also, do a 15 minute pick up of clutter and wipedown of the house!

Wednesday- This is errand day!  This would include grocery shopping and any small things that need to be done out of the home.

The  minor chore is to clean out the care and the entryways of the house.

Thursday- Deep clean of the bathroom.  Wiping down the bathrooms daily will reduce the work that needs to be done on deep clean day.

Friday- Deep clean kitchen day.  Again, it will be easier if you do a daily wipedown on the counters and sink, etc.

The minor chore is dusting the house.

Saturday- project day; any home maintenance projects or things that need to be done; Usually this is family and friends day, however!

Sunday- Plan for the week ahead.  This may include meal planning, pre-cooking meals for busy days ahead, scheduling, etc.  I also like to grocery shop on Sundays instead of on errand day, but that can vary from person to person.

Every day- kitchen and bathroom wipedown and sweeping, set the timer for 10 minutes and pick up clutter or misplaced items. 



No comments:

Post a Comment