Sunday, November 7, 2010

#1 piece of advice to maintain a healthy diet



I was at Panera Bread the other day with my husband.  For the first time all season,  it was chilly here in Orlando, FL!  We were craving soup and decided to do two things that are rare occurrences for us.  1) We ate at a restaurant (we're on a tight budget) and 2) We indulged and got (dum dum dum...) A BROCCOLI CHEDDAR BREAD BOWL.  Hardly healthful, but oh so delicious!  It is these rare occurrences that make the experience so wonderful, however, and I fully enjoyed it.

I was only minutes into my warm and scrumptious brocolli cheddar bread bowl when a "food rule" from Michael Pollan's book came into my head.  "Cook."  Oh, and theres also the rule that says something along the lines of "eat as many treats as you want as long as you make them yourself".  I began to think, "What if I made this brocolli cheddar bread bowl soup myself?  I mean seriously!  What if I baked the bread, molded it into the rounded shape, and hollowed it out in the perfect way that panera bread does and on top of it all proceeded to make a creamy and thick brocolli cheddar soup (a time consuming venture, I'm sure of it)?  WHAT IF?"  Or what about that Pinkberry I treasure once a week.  How to find that non-fat pumpkin spice pinkberry deliciousness recipe, I haven't even the slightest idea!  Of course I'm being a little extreme, but it's TRUE!  If only we would begin to cook everything we craved.  If only we spent more time in the kitchen preparing our meals, then many of our health and diet problems would be solved.  That takes out fast food, spending excess money at restaurants, and excessive trans fat and sugar.  If we would reject the ready-made convenience that is being sold to us on the television, in the grocery store, and at restaurants how much healthier would we be and would we then have such an out of control obesity problem in America?  Probably not.  So what are we afraid of?  I think we are too lazy to spend that much time in the kitchen.  I think we want to accomplish too much in one day rather than tending to our  meals.  I know everyone wants to be more productive, get more done and there is never any time, but lets think folks: there is a massive difference between productivity and the number of things accomplished.  I've been trying this new thing.  I'm attempting to try to get LESS done.  I'm going to save that concept for another post, but without further ado, here is an article written by Michael Pollan about the couch potato sydrome and the dire need for people to get off their patooties and start cookin'!  Cookin for basic health, for love, and for the recovery of control over what we are putting in our bodies:

Out of the Kitchen, Onto the Couch
Thank you to The New York Times Magazine and Michael Pollan for your contribution to Delectable Living

No comments:

Post a Comment