Sunday, November 28, 2010

Holiday fitness help (and some Thanksgiving shout-outs)

Well, I hope everyone had a fabulous Thanksgiving!  My in-laws came into town and visited (shout out to The Bray Family-woot woot!) and we had ridiculous amounts of fun.  Without going into all the details, let me just throw out some words to describe the holiday for me this year (it was my first Thanksgiving with my new husband Matthew Bray!):

My First Turkey...
Harry Potter World.  Butterbeer.  Tangled (hilarious).  Cooking my first turkey EVER.  Helping a friend in need.  Competitive Scattegories.  Giada de Laurentiis Thanksgiving menu.  Hours and hours of cooking.  Bonding.  IKEA (enough said).  Angry Birds.  Insane amounts of food.  Downtown Disney.  Toasted Coconut Ice Cream.  Whole Foods.  Wine.  Walking.  More Walking.  Gifts.  Restaurants.  Universal Studios.  Love.  Even more walking.  Blessings.  Thankfulness and missing my mom, dad, sister.  Time well spent with my husband and in-laws!




My Mother's Corn Pudding- YUM!
I would consider it a most wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving.  The Lord is continuing to amaze me with the gifts he brings into my life each and every day.
Pam Bray's Coconut Banana Cream Pie

On another note, I was determined to stick to my workout plan on the week of Thanksgiving and let me just say- I DID IT and I feel fantastic.  Mrs. Bray and I cooked homemade goodies for so many hours that indulging in stuffing, my Mom's most amazing corn pudding recipe, pecan pie, and "green stuff" produced no shame in eating my fill of Thanksgiving comfort food.  That being said, most people decide that since they indulged, they might as well take off the week in their exercise routine, too, which makes no sense.  First, that  makes you feel worse.  Second, anytime you can sneak in a healthy meal or exercise routine, it is a positive thing, ESPECIALLY on holidays.  That doesn't mean you can't relax and I'm willing to bet that sticking to your guns concerning exercise will make you feel better on days when eating a little less healthy seems unavoidable.

Here are some fitness tips for your holiday season exercise:


1. I've said this before, but again, make it your goal to not only maintain, but to get in BETTER shape by the end of the holiday season.

2.  Find a program, and stick to it.  Pick the day and hour that works best for you.  Train 3-5 times a week (weight lifting and cardio elements) and get your butt into shape!

3.  Change up the exercises every week or bi-weekly.  Keep your body guessing and you will not only see results physically, but you will stretch your strength mentally as well.

4.  Focus.  Concentrate on the muscle you are working and put all your energy into it!

5.  When lifting weights use the full range of motion and lift smoothly, as opposed to jerkily.

6.  Quality, not quantity.  Focus on form over lifting obscene amounts of weight. (Ladies:  At the same time, don't be afraid to lift heavier weights-you won't get bulky)

7.  Set up a goal and a time frame and work towards it.  Train for a half marathon, a bodybuilding show, set up session with a photographer, or whatever you will...

8.  Jump rope for your cardio.  It is super hard and pumps up your heart rate in a hot second!

9.  Treat the gym like a circus and get creative!  (this week I'll be posting more about this...)

10.  EAT.  Every meal.  Especially breakfast.  Farmers starve their pigs all day and then give them a big ole' meal at the end of the day to ensure fattening of epic proportions.  Don't be like the pigs.  Eat 5-6 small meals each day. 

Discussion topic:  What do you do to stay in shape over the holidays? (post in comments :))

Hope you had a WONDERFUL AND BLESSED Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

  1. My family all goes on a walk together after our Thanksgiving meal. It helps us burn a few of those extra calories while still staying together and keeping up great conversation!

    Love your blog Laura! keep the good tips comin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You arms are RIDICULOUS (in a good way) in the picture holding your turkey. Tell me how you've been working on THAT! Please:) I could use some inspiration...

    ReplyDelete